The FAA released its TRUST for recreational drone flyers just about one month ago, on June 22.
TRUST stands for The Recreational UAS Safety Test. Here’s an overview of what it entails:
- The test is required for U.S. recreational drone flyers.
- It takes about 30 minutes to complete.
- No prior drone knowledge is needed to take the test.
- The test allows unlimited attempts to pass.
Instead of offering the TRUST itself or through paid third parties—as the Part 107 test is offered—the FAA has made it available for free through trusted partners.
UAV Coach is one of those partners, and since the test launched we have had over 10,000 people take the test with us.
What is TRUST? Inside the FAA’s New Training Requirements for Recreational Drone Flyers in the U.S.
In designing the TRUST experience we worked hard to make taking the test easy and straightforward. Since launching we’ve received some great feedback, like this comment from recreational drone flyer Rod M.:
The learning material is easy to read and understand. There were no trick questions in the quizzes. There were only questions on basic information provided in the learning material. The whole presentation didn’t take longer than 30 minutes to complete. The certificate of completion looks nice and official. Most importantly, it’s free of charge!
– Rod M.
The TRUST is free and required for all recreational drone flyers.
Take the test now with UAV Coach.
About the FAA TRUST for Recreational Drone Flyers
The TRUST is an aeronautical knowledge and safety test that is now required for all recreational drone flyers. It is the result of new requirements for recreational flyers of drones introduced by the FAA’s 2018 Reauthorization Bill.
No studying is required to take the test, since it was designed to provide education while flyers take it.
Here’s what taking the test looks like:
- Step 1. Take the free online training—there’s no time limit but it usually takes about 30 minutes.
- Step 2. Pass the online multiple choice test—you have unlimited attempts to answer the questions correctly.
- Step 3. Get your certificate of completion—print or save a copy of your certificate to keep while flying.
The last point is worth emphasizing.
Once you take the TRUST, you’ll need to have your certificate of completion on you any time you’re flying your drone so you can prove you’ve taken the test.
Common Questions about the FAA TRUST
Here are answers to a few common questions about the TRUST and the current requirements for recreational drone flyers:
What Is a Recreational Drone Flyer?
A recreational drone flyer is anyone who flies a drone for fun or personal enjoyment only.
On the other hand, a commercial drone pilot is anyone who flies a drone for non-recreational purposes. It’s important to note that “non-recreational” can include an array of drone operations, and isn’t limited only to flying a drone for pay or barter.
Learn more under the “What Is a Recreational Flight?” of this page on the FAA’s website.
What Are All the Regulatory Requirements for Recreational Flyers of Drones?
Here is everything you need to do to be compliant with the FAA’s rules for flying a drone as a recreational drone flyer:
- Pass the TRUST.
- If your drone weighs more than .55 lbs, register your drone through the FAA’s DroneZone.
- Follow the safety guidelines found on the FAA’s website or of an existing aeromodelling organization.
See the FAA’s TRUST webpage for more information.
What Are the Details of UAV Coach’s Partnership with the FAA?
- UAV Coach is an FAA-approved Test Administrator of The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST).
- The FAA wrote the online training and test content for TRUST.
- TRUST is a collaboration between the FAA and industry to provide educational safety material to recreational flyers.
Still have questions? Visit the FAQ on UAV Coach’s TRUST page to learn more.
What People Are Saying about Their Test Experience with UAV Coach
Here is some more feedback from recreational flyers of drones who have taken the TRUST with UAV Coach:
Quick and easy=no stress!
– Mark C.
Clear, concise and informative.
– Michel T.
The training and testing format was simple to follow and use, very straightforward.
– Kraig T.
Very simple. Everything worked well with no issues.
– Steve T.
Learned things I didn’t know.
– Kenneth W.
I find my overall experience with the TRUST exercise to be informative and a reminder of the programs, websites and applications available for a recreational flyer.
– Javier E.
Take the TRUST now with UAV Coach.